TUI announced it will cancel all planned holidays to Spain in response to the announcement the UK is taking it off ‘safe list’
The holiday operator made the announcement this evening in response to the news Spain had been removed from its ‘air bridge’ list.
It means that thousands of British tourists in Spain have had their holidays thrown into disarray after the Government imposed an immediate two-week quarantine for anyone returning home from the country.
A spokesman said: “As per our TUI Holiday Promise, we won’t take customers on holiday if we know they’re required to quarantine on arrival or on their return home.”
It comes after numerous outbreaks across Spain and a rise in over 2000 cases of Covid 19 in the country on Thursday alone.
An announcement was made by the Department for Transport on Saturday evening, with the government asking employers across all four nations to be “understanding” of workers who need to self-isolate.
“Following a significant change over the last week in both the level and pace of change in confirmed cases, Spain has been removed from the list of countries where people do not have to self-isolate when arriving into to the UK.
“People currently on holiday in Spain are encouraged to follow the local rules, return home as normal and check the FCO’s travel advice pages on gov.uk for further information.”
The spokesperson added: “Protecting public health is our absolute priority and we have taken this decision to limit any potential spread to the UK.
“We’ve always been clear that we would act immediately to remove a country where necessary.”
Deputy emergency health director Maria Jose Sierra said: “We have important outbreaks.
“It could be a second wave. We’ll have to see what happens in the next few weeks.”